Saturday, March 3, 2012

Ready for Battle!


I am posting this one because I feel like the mom in "How School Districts See Us" these days.

B has a 504 plan in place because of his previous diagnoses of ADHD and Anxiety Disorder (with OCD tendencies).  There are some simple accommodations that were put into place to help him within the classroom.  This year (on Tuesday!) he has to take the writing portion of the state test.  This is of particular concern (to his teacher and myself) because he has difficulty summarizing.  He needs visuals, time to talk it out, etc to pick out which details he should use to summarize.  So, after the waste of time IEP fiasco at the end of January, I requested a meeting to update his 504 plan to put support into place for the upcoming test.  As usual, his school is seemingly blowing me off.  They have "tentatively scheduled" the meeting 3 times now.  The first two were canceled and rescheduled and we are supposed to meet on Monday after school (nothing like waiting til the last minute!).  This one was only scheduled because I informed them that we would be meeting and getting this in writing on Monday afternoon no matter who was or was not in attendance.

I have contacted the office of the parent advocate and scheduled a meeting with him on April 5.  He was booked solid until that week!  I guess that goes to show how bad CA school districts are at servicing special needs students these days.  I have kept every email, response, and evidence of lack of response and have it all in writing to take to our meeting as proof that the school isn't following up, nor meeting his needs, they way that they should.  I have since received the full report from Kaiser showing his results, his diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome, and the recommendations the assessment team made for the education setting.  I will be giving the school their copy on Monday; however, the program specialist stated in our previous meeting that it wouldn't matter if he was diagnosed or not because he has good grades so he's not being impacted academically by his disability.

Thankfully he has a wonderful teacher, who has a special ed background, and supports us 100%.  She has been great about making accommodations and modifications for him.  Maybe I should not let him have any accommodations or modifications and then let them see exactly how he would be impacted academically.

2 comments:

  1. Keep on fighting for him. I know it's hard but it's because of you he's doing so well. That and he sees what you do to help him. He knows you're on his side. What more could a boy ask for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement! This has been a long road & I know it's far from over. It is the prayers and encouragement of my friends and family that help lift me up when I am feeling down. We should get together soon!

      Delete