My last post was almost 3 weeks ago. It was before the actual 504 plan meeting. When I spoke with the principal on the phone the Friday evening before our 504 plan meeting on Monday, I mentioned that I totally disagreed with the speech therapist not qualifying him for therapy, that he had received a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome through the Autism Spectrum Disorder Center at Kaiser Permanente, and told her about the meeting that I have scheduled with the parent advocate. She didn't say much on the phone with me, but apparently she shared everything that I said with the program specialist. As a result, the program specialist (the same one who told me he wouldn't qualify for services even if he was diagnosed) showed up at the beginning of the 504 plan meeting with an assessment plan in hand for me to sign and informed me that "because he was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, we want to do a full assessment on him".
I find it quite interesting that the program specialist completely changed her tune after she heard the words "parent advocate". I also find it annoying that as a parent I had to get a parent advocate before they would even assess him. It really sickens me, because most parents don't know to go to the lengths that I am going to just to get help for their child so there are a lot of children out there who get no services at all. It's sad that it is no longer about helping the children, and it's all about the almighty dollar (or lack thereof) of the school districts.
My meeting with the parent advocate (Michael Rosenberg of Area Board 3) is on April 5. He & I will have a lot to talk about in preparation for the IEP that legally has to be held by May 4. The things that I am looking for and intend to ask for are not big things and are all very reasonable and deserved. I am just hoping and praying that the district will see it that way and that we're not in for a long, huge battle.
No comments:
Post a Comment