Thursday, September 6, 2012

Impulsive

im·pul·sive

[im-puhl-siv]
adjective
1. actuated or swayed by emotional or involuntary impulses: an impulsive child.
2. having the power or effect of impelling; characterized by impulsion: impulsive forces.
3. inciting to action: the impulsive effects of a revolutionary idea.
4. Mechanics . (of forces) acting momentarily; not continuous.
 

compulsive, impulsive, impetuous (see synonym note at impetuous).
 

1. rash, quick, hasty. See impetuous.
 
 
Impulsive is a word that I have quickly learned to hate.  When Padawan received his ADHD diagnosis it was not because he was actually found to be hyperactive, but because of his difficulty with being able to focus and because his other symptoms fall under "impulsive type".  I didn't need a psychologist to tell me that...I live with it on a daily basis.  It has gotten better since he went on medication a couple of years ago, but it is still an area in which we have to continuously work.
 
I knew that the transitions to a new school and a new before/after school care were going to have a big effect on him.  He was so miserable at his previous school and his needs weren't being met, so I knew that we had to make a change and that the eventual success would definitely outweigh the immediate behavioral side effects that would ensue.  He has amazed me at how well he has done at both places.  His needs are being met by the IEP team, he has already made some new friends and is thriving.  For that I am extremely happy and blessed.  However, all of the change in his routine and environment have definitely stressed him and we have seen those impulsive behaviors play out at home (his "safe zone" where he can let it all out).
 
This has been a rough week for him at home.  All of the changes to his daily/nightly routines have seemingly taken their toll and overwhelmed him and we have experienced several occasions of meltdown mode.  Tonight has turned into major meltdown mode because we've added in even more stresss: a loose tooth that he desperately wants to pull but is too scared that it will hurt so he can't let go of that anxiety and actually pull it, and Jedi Master has to work late and even though he called and Padawan said his prayers with him and told him goodnight over the phone it's still not the same as being able to hug and kiss him in person which is part of his nightly routine.  That meltdown is still playing out while he is lying in his bed.  *sigh*  I wish that there was something that I could do to make it all better, but I know that it is something that he will have to work through and that he will adapt to the newness of it all and it will become a new routine for him and more than likely by the end of next week it will have all blown over.  Even though I know that in my head, it is still hard for this mommy's heart to have to experience with him.
 
There will be an upcoming post about all of the good things that we are experiencing as a result of him changing schools, but I want to wait until after his IEP meeting on the 18th to post about it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment